Wednesday, January 28, 2009

An Evening With Austin

Places like this exist in Austin. It's a damned anomaly. You would never think you were in Texas. The downtown area was pretty alright, but just outside was absolutely beautiful. And the hospitality was delightfully stereotypical. Rose and Terry were wonderful hosts and I could not have been more comfortable. We had lots of adult talk. Terry saw the Stones in 1969. I was born in the wrong era.


Some quick Bat Facts for you brought to you by the city of Austin, TX, home to the world famous bridge bats:
1) Bats are not blind.
2) Bats do not become entangled in people's hair.
3) Bats are not flying rodents.
4) Bats are not dirty or mostly rabid.
5) Bats do not attack people.
6) Bats you can catch are most likely to be sick so you should never attempt to handle them.


Austin was very unfortunately freezing. Ice on the cacti and stuff. But, we braved it Chicago style and went to a show last night at this place called the Continental Club. David Garza and his band were playing, and do every Tuesday evening, this one being their last. So, it was a hell of a show. I know nothing about this band, but I was ridiculously entertained. Lots of old '50s covers, some Blondie, Talking Heads and some really wonderful originals. Dude played for over 3 hours without a break. The best part was this band consisted of a guitar, bass, and two fucking drum kits manned by three percussionists. Just huge sound coming off this little stage. A wonderful taste of the famous Austin music scene. Also, if anyone wants to go to SXSW this summer, I have a place to stay.

This morning had us leaving beautiful Austin for New Mexico, a hell of a trek across Texas. We stopped first in Fredericksburg which made me write about a million poems. Texas is huge and beautiful and fast. And by fast I mean:



Some other great things about Texas are that Melissa is a cowboy, C got pulled over and warninged, and I'm a cowgirl.


It also ended up being a super fast feeling drive. Once we hit New Mexico, everything changed. I've never seen so much of something so big in my life. Pictures and shit won't do it any justice, but it's awe inspiring. I know a bit more about the Lonesome Dove novels since being here. I really do not want to leave.





That top left photo might be the best picture I've ever taken. Almost incredibly accidental. I'm going to put a video on of some driving. I don't have any audio on my computer so I don't know if it's incredibly windy or if there's a Boston soundtrack or some really idiotic commentary by me. Also, check out C's blog, because I'm pretty sure a video of the spider walk in New Mexico at the Carlsbad Caverns will be your prize. I have to split though. Two words: desert stars.




No comments:

Post a Comment