Friday, January 23, 2009

Exodus Eve


Now I don't want to be overly epic, but my plans for this trip require of me a blog. For those of you aware of my vocalized aversion to this phenomenon, you will definitely be surprised. I apologize if you feel duped because of this, but really, "Known some call is air am." Basically, epic hopes necessitate record keeping. It's 1949 and I've heard there's gold in the west.

Tomorrow, Killian arrives early. We will head down to Champaign to pick up Melissa, the third member of our party. I have never met Melissa and in the past 6 years, I have spent a total of 90 minutes with Killian. With a guaranteed 7 days in the car, this is a harrowing risk, but I'm not too worried. I think we all have enough goals and hopes for this trip that we will not be wrapped up in anything petty that would normally divide us. But really, we're all lovely people, so I simply think there is nothing to worry about.

Our first night will be spent in Memphis, TN. Then we will proceed to New Orleans the next night, then head west to Austin, TX. Then two nights will be spent in New Mexico, in Carlsbad and, hopefully the turning point of the trip, a town called Truth or Consequences. Life changing, I daresay. From there, Tuscon and then Los Angeles by the 31st. My flight home is on the 2nd, so I'll have a couple days hopefully watching the Super Bowl and seeing the lovely Melissa Royston. I will sleep on a bench like I walked until I realized I had to swim.

I am bringing along my tape recorder. My hope is that I can interview some folks along our route. I mostly want ridiculous stories that I will transcribe here or that our party will re-enact and film along our way. In addition to these transcriptions, I'll be keeping a hopefully steady log of what happens. Inspiration for originality is my hope here, because if I want to make a career out of writing poetry, I better get moving.

Speaking of, I've been published twice recently. Check it out:

www.chicagopoetry.com - Cram 4
www.inscribed.org - Inscribed Volume 4, Issue 1

Here's to not wallowing in unemployed self-pity. See you on the shore.

No comments:

Post a Comment