Monday, January 26, 2009

Leave Our Names at Home

We left Memphis early today. The ladies were unimpressed and our desire to see some rock and roll museums was not that pressing. So, we headed out for the Big Easy, with yours truly at the helm. The contrast in scenery since Illinois was drastically different and incredibly hard to believe we were there not long ago. Trees and hills and cricks and probably a million alligators. It makes you say, "Oh, Mississippi." It's only now I realize that I should probably have visited Crystal and Dustin. Watch him fly a jet and bomb a terrorist or something.

We also made a quick stop in an intriguing little town called Coffeeville. On the way, we saw a bit of the native parasitic vegetation, hanging moss. It looks like ash and eats everything it sees. It's also the only plant with an agenda, so watch out. I almost killed all of us reversing up a hill trying to get this photo. Yeah, kinda not worth it.

We also spotted at least 10 churches within a 20-mile radius of Coffeeville. I said we'd find 16 and lost. Also, the coffee was pretty terrible. But it looked like a wild west town and they had a sweet courthouse. The gas station had more beer in it that I've seen in one building ever. Killian's blog might have a video at some point.

We also stopped in Jackson, MS. It was cool for awhile, the capital building and governor's mansion and whatnot. But, when looking for a place to eat, we found this absolutely deserted street. It was paved in brick and probably really beautiful and lively at one point, but there is absolutely nothing now. There were also scores of boarded up houses. The only thing still in use that we saw was the cemetary. It was very surprising. Also, we couldn't find anything real to eat so ended up at Captain D's seafood. That shit is still sitting in my stomach. Not cool.

But NO was amazing. I greatly enjoyed myself there. We stayed in a sorority house (or as much of one as you can find without it being a brothel) and headed out to Bourbon Street. We saw 3 different blues/jazz bands, I smoked in a bar, and this old guy danced with Melissa during that Obama song. It was glorious. I ate gumbo and saw 0 boobs. Today, we will find Cafe du Monde, eat some French donuts, and I will buy more of that ridiculous coffee that I got for Christmas. Which apparently will only last me 3 weeks again.

Tonight, we head out for Austin, TX. I don't know why, but this is the part that I'm really looking forward to. It was apparently 70 out in New Mexico earlier this week and that prospect is certainly intriguing. I just want to do something in a desert. Like bury something. I think that would be a worthwhile investment.

With all the stupid time I have these days, I'm going to start playing the trumpet again. I spent all that time and money... what the hell am I doing with myself? Very little. That's the correct answer to that question.

2 comments:

  1. Austin is amazing. I think you'll like it. Nothing at all like the rest of Texas. Much more green than you would expect. Then again, I've never been there in January. ;)

    Miss you, Bottoms. Love your face and this blogspot.

    -Fun Buns

    ReplyDelete